Sunday, April 5, 2009

Welcome to England, Baby.


I'd heard Tori Amos' music as a teenager growing up, but didn't truly start connecting to her music until I bought Scarlet's Walk in 2003. Then I started to listen to her earlier songs and I've loved them ever since.


Amos' music is that perfect contradiction that you look for in a work of art - the rhythm of the music itself is accessible, quick to befriend your mind and heart. But the lyrics are so intensely vague yet personal that you can't help but feel like she's an old friend telling you stories about the stars and the paths that we all walk together.


Since Scarlet's Walk, I've had the same feeling each time a new album was released. And I'm getting the same feeling now with the new single. Welcome to England, indeed. It's a hell of a beautiful ride.



Tori Amos - Welcome To England Music Video

2 comments:

  1. Hear hear, Yanna.

    I started with Scarlet's Walk, too. A Sorta Fairytale just reeled me in and I traced her works backwards from there; and that's how I fell in love with Little Earthquakes and Boys for Pele. I felt like she hit a dryspell with The Beekeeper though (seemed too predictable and monotonous for my liking), but made up for it with American Doll Posse. I'm hoping for Abnormally Attracted to Sin to be just as delicious.

    I think what I love about Tori is that she constantly reinvents herself. She ventures into new regions but still is able to make the styling hers. And no one listen is the same as the last; cos there is always something new to discover in her words and sound that you can connect to on a one level or another.

    I'm with you on the ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazlin, you say it so much better than I do. :) I too love that she ventures beyond her comfort zone and transforms herself each time without selling out or sounding like a rehash of previous works. Fingers crossed, AATS will be very good ear sex. Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete